20 May 2015

Real fingertip in a jar! Yes, gross, but fun!

Ok So most people would find this a bit gross, not me! Ok so the story is... a good friend of mine cut the tip of his finger off about 6 years ago and as any normal person would be bagged it and put it in the freezer to keep! When he saw I was making things in little bottles he asked me if I could put his finger tip in a lil bottle for him and I had no reason to refuse!! So a few months later he comes to see me and has a lil bag, a tiny glass bottle and a small bottle of formaldehyde (I have no idea how or where he got it from)

The first thing I did was to put on some rubber gloves, there was no way I was touching it without them!! And I tried to squeeze that mother into a bottle but as the fingertip was soo old and had been frozen for years the bloomin thing was rock solid and was in no way going in that bottle. So I had to get creative.
He was adamant that I was not cut or remove any of it, to fit it in the bottle and I'm glad he was. 

In the end we decided to try and soak that sucker in some formaldehyde to see if it softens the finger up any. And the good news was that it did!! After 2 days soaking time, I donned the face mask, goggles and gloves again and jammed it into the bottle, POP in it went! Just soft enough to squeeze it in!!

I topped it up with the formaldehyde it had been soaking in and corked that sucker up tight. He was over the moon his fingertip could go on display in his house and he would never be without it again!!

TIL: I didnt make this but I had to get creative to get it in the bottle. Enjoy!! Hmmm maybe I'll take up takidermy next?


No comments:

Post a Comment